Monday, November 30, 2009

'Tis the Season

Well here we are at the top of the first hill of the roller coaster that is the "holiday season." (I love metaphors, similies not so much, go figure.) Anyway, Halloween is but a distant memory and Thanksgiving is over but for the few leftovers, already forgotten in the back of the refrigerator, awaiting their appointment with the disposal. I have not forgotten, however, those things for which I am personally thankful.


First would be my family and friends, especially those who are like family to me (you know who you are). Next would be a comfortable life, made possible by continuing employment and a fairly simple lifestyle. I have been relatively healthy (see previous "simple lifestyle") and have no major concerns in that area. The last "big" thanks would be for my freedom to do, say and believe what I wish (within the bounds of personal ethics and the law) and to come and go as I please (within the bounds of actually being employed). There are many more things on my "thanks" list, but I will not enumerate them, just a quick "shout out" for: A Bell's Oberon with a medium rare steak; a summer day with no schedule except an appointment with a fishing rod and a small mouth bass; and a cup of coffee with a friend.


But as my thoughts turn to these things I cannot help but think of those who lack these very same pleasures. Those who are hungry, the homeless, those who, through chance or circumstance, have lost hope. And their numbers, in these turbulent economic times, are growing. The N.Y. Times just reported that 1 in 8 Americans ( and 1 in 4 children) are using food stamps to help feed themselves.


I do not presume to tell other people (at least unsolicited) what to do. But as for myself, I have decided that I have more than enough "stuff" (see earlier blog entry). Starting last year, I have asked my friends with whom I exchange presents to give me nothing, save a small "stocking stuffer" for Christmas. I would rather that they make a contribution to their local food bank or hunger program. It is a small contribution ( I have no wealthy friends) but I think it can make a difference in somebody's life. I know it has in mine.




1 comment:

  1. Yeah, a metaphor is a, um, well, while a simile is more like a, er...never mind..

    ReplyDelete