Saturday, February 26, 2011

Midwinter Beatdown

OK, I give up, "Uncle!!" This last week has finally broken my spirit. Old man winter, you win. Now please go away! I have once more reached the point where I am sick of snow, in any quantity. It does not matter if it is 1" that just needs a quick scrape with the shovel, or 8" that requires firing up the snowblower. I've endured both this week (the "small" accumulations several times) and I'm just tired of it.


I am also tired of the winter driving. Go out in the morning, clear the sidewalk and driveway, clean off the car and scrape the windows has become a mantra for me as I prepare go to sleep every night. Who needs sheep to count when one has innumerable snowflakes to consider? Then it's "slip sliding away" to work, keeping a close watch ahead to the car in front and a dubious watch in the mirror as the car behind closes on you to a ridiculously unsafe distance. Repeat twice daily, or as needed.


And don't even talk to me about longer vehicular excursions. 3 times this winter I have travelled to northern Ohio to see friends. 3 times I have returned in weather conditions considered "less than ideal." The last time (yes, this week) involved snow on the roads, ice on the windows, whiteouts and 3+ hours of "white knuckle" driving in a stretch that normally (that is, the other 3 seasons of the year) takes 2 hours (or less in the Mini .)


There is a saying: "Michigan seasons - Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Winter, Winter." Hopefully we are well into 3rd Winter, because I am done. In another 4 weeks I hope to have the Mini on the road and winter behind me. We shall see....

1 comment:

  1. Yes; impeccable (or is it "peccable"?) timing of those visits. Unfortunately, water in liquid form has proven more deadly down here this week.

    ReplyDelete